Thursday, February 9, 2012

Book #3 Completed! (The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time)



After experiencing life through the eyes of a teenager with mental instability in the last book I read, it's only natural that I moved on to reading a narrative from the life of an autistic boy.  While this book is much shorter, it has much in common with my last book.  Neither attempts to tell an epic tale of heroic acts, but rather both illustrate the unique way in which certain types of individuals interact with the world.  Both walk the reader through a series of events that while unusual, are most likely not unrealistic.

In some ways this book reminded me of Stranger Than Fiction, one of my favorite movies.  I found it fascinating to climb inside the brain of someone who experiences life in such a unique way.  Both were bittersweet and had moments of humor mixed with grief. This book ultimately ended in a way that was satisfying; not happily ever after, but also not with sadness.

This isn't the best book I've ever read, but it's definitely a good one.  It turned out to be a quick read once I got into it.  While I found myself at the end still expecting more to happen, I realize looking back that nothing more had to.  It was simply the story of a few weeks in the life of an autistic boy who struggled to deal with the drama of a broken family and the events of a world outside of his control.

No comments:

Post a Comment